A well-constructed pole barn, put together by an experienced pole barn builder, has the potential to be affordable, durable, and very useful. In this article, we will discuss what pole barns are, their main uses, and why choosing the right pole barn builder can make all the difference.
Pole Barns and Their Uses
Pole barns, sometimes referred to as post-frame buildings, first garnered popularity during the Great Depression. This was mainly due to their affordability and how fast and easy they were to build.
The pole barn building method involves using metal, steel, or wood poles and cross beams to construct sturdy, reliable, and adaptable structures. Poles are used in pole buildings as framing members that anchor them deep into the ground. They are an essential part of a the pole barn foundation.
Traditionally, pole barns were used to protect farm animals and livestock from the elements or for equipment storage. However, today, their usefulness spans far beyond farm use. Thanks to modern innovations and creative ideas, pole barns can be custom built to meet specific needs, making them a popular choice for homeowners, farms, construction sites, warehouses, and storage centers alike (among many other businesses).
Pole barns are most commonly used for:
- Residential or office buildings
- Horse barns
- Equine buildings
- Barn Style Garages
- Equipment storage buildings
- Commercial buildings
Why You Should Hire a Pole Barn Builder
When it comes to adding a pole barn to your property, it usually comes down to two options: DIY or enlisting the help of a professional. Many people have the misconception that anyone can buy a pole barn kit and get the project done to high standards. This isn’t true. The best option, especially if you have never built a barn from scratch, is to hire a professional custom pole barn builder. Here are four reasons why:
- Experience: Construction of a quality, well-standing structure involves many steps, from the initial site preparation to the actual construction process. By hiring an expert, you will have a team of custom post-frame builders that knows what they are doing and how to do it well.
- Quality: When you hire a professional pole barn company, you are not only going to receive good quality workmanship, but the materials they use will be of top quality as well.
- Safety: While pole-frame construction is not as complicated as building a traditional framed barn, it is not an easy task. Attempting it alone could be frustrating, difficult, and can even lead to serious injury in some cases.
- Customization: You might not want to go for a one-size-fits-all solution when building your brand new barn. An experienced pole barn builder can customize your design to suit your needs, specifications, and wants. You will be asked for relevant information, a list of concerns, and an expected budget regarding what you are looking for. An experienced pole barn builder will help ensure you have the right building the first time, and not be left wishing you had done it differently.
What to Look For in a Pole Barn Builder
As with making any investment, thorough research is necessary before a final decision is made. When choosing a pole barn builder, consider the following important factors:
- They have excellent communication: An unresponsive or slow responding pole barn company is likely not to be communicative during the building process. You may run into several problems, particularly if there is a future issue that needs to be resolved.
- Experience: There is no substitute for the fantastic workmanship and attention to detail that experience brings. Look into references of projects like yours the builder has completed before, how many barns they build a year, and how long they have been in business. Based on their experience, a quality pole barn builder will be able to consult with you effectively to ensure your building design meets your needs for today and the future.
- References are Vital: Find out if customers are satisfied with the company. When a company does not want you to talk to their previous customers, it might mean that they don’t have a lot of positive things to say about the pole barn company.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions: At the end of the day, it is your decision, so you need to know exactly what you want from your pole barn builder. Ask as many questions as you need until you are comfortable with your choice.
Peak Pole Barns and Manufacturing is a pole barn construction company that can construct barns of any shape, size, or purpose, from garages to stables. Contact us today to find out how our team of expert pole barn builders can make your dream pole barn a reality.